The Fenix PD40R v2 Rechargeable LED Flashlight gets multiple upgrades over its first iteration, including a patented rotary switch instead of the old dual push button; an increase in all outputs (except the turbo); and the ability to tail stand—all in a lighter body.
The light offers four brightness levels, from a low of 30 lumens to a powerful turbo output of 3000 lumens, plus a 2500-lumen disorienting strobe mode. Its high-capacity 21700 battery charges right in the light, and its USB-C charging port is covered to protect the excellent IP68 rating. Its new switch, located on the handle, can be operated with one hand for easier operation, and since the tail cap switch has been eliminated, the light is now capable of tail standing for hands-free use.
Engineered to handle the rigors of daily use, the housing is made of a lightweight and durable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy with a Type III hard-anodized finish. A tempered glass emitter window is scratch/impact resistant and has anti-reflection coatings to maximize light transmission. The IP rating protects it and makes it waterproof, submersible, and dustproof. With the higher outputs came the requirement for a more powerful battery. The PD40R v2 runs on a single high-capacity 5000mAh 21700 battery, plus it can also run on a smaller 18650 battery using an optional battery holder, though outputs and runtime may be affected.
- Upgraded low, medium, high outputs provide more light than the previous model
- Low 30 lumens is ideal for performing close-up tasks
- Medium 350 lumens will light spaces like closets, cabinets, trunks, and truck beds
- High 1000 lumens illuminates large areas, provides safe nighttime navigation, and serves other jobs that require lots of light
- Turbo mode provides 3000 lumens of intense light for short periods for searching
- One high-output Luminus SST70 white LED
- Powerful 2500-lumen strobe mode can be used to disorient a threat or used as a signal
- Digitally regulated output maintains consistent beam intensity throughout battery charge
- Type: Rotary
- Location: Handle
- Simple and intuitive rotary switch has clearly marked output indicators and can be used one-handed for convenience
- Integrated battery level indicator
- Patented rotary switch replaces the dual push-button design on the previous version for easier use and handling
- Lightweight and durable 6061-T6 aluminum alloy housing
- Scratch- and corrosion-resistant Type III hard-anodized finish
- Anti-reflection coated impact- and scratch-resistant tempered glass window
- Impact resistant to 3.3'
- IP68-rated to be submersible to 6.6' and sealed against dust and debris
- Compact and lightweight, measuring just over 5" long and weighing just 4.1 ounces without the battery
Electrical and Charging
- Runs on one included high-capacity 21700 5000mAh Li-ion battery
- Reverse polarity protection prevents damage to light if battery is installed wrong
- Battery charges in the light via covered USB-C port using the included charging cable
- Capable of running on one 18650 rechargeable battery, but output and runtimes may be affected (optional ALF-18 battery holder required)