The Fox & Hound from Triplett is a handheld, wire-tracing tone generator and probe kit useful for testing signal throughout any apposite cable (red/green telephone lines, LAN cables, Alarm cables, and more). It features two separate units, the Fox 2 tone generator and the Hound 3 probe, an inductive amplifier which follows the signal generated by the Fox throughout the cable you're testing.
The Fox 2 is battery operated and capable of generating both pulse and warble tones. It has a magnetized back for mounting in multiple situations, as well as an on/off locking button to prevent you from accidentally turning off the unit mid-use. For connection purposes, the unit utilizes alligator clips, an RJ-11 connection point, or an RJ-45 termination (via the included RJ-11 to RJ-45 adapter). Furthermore, the device features proprietary TrueTrace technology for quicker identification of cabling, 120 VAC overload protection in case you touch a hot line, and a continuity tester.
The Hound 3, on the other hand, sports a range of 12", allowing you to trace tones through cables from a foot away. It features adjustable sensitivity and loudness controls, though you can also monitor tones privately via a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. Built-in LED lights at the head of the probe improve visibility in dark areas, and boast the added effect of reducing the noise of fluorescent lights. Additionally, a bandpass filter suppresses unwanted frequencies.
Hound 3 Features
- Adjustable sensitivity and loudness control
- Bandpass filter suppresses 60 Hz and high-frequency noise
- Identifies Fox 2’s tracer tone up to 12 inches away
- Headlights illuminate dark areas and reduce fluorescent-light noise
- Built-in signal-strength indicator
- Earphone jack for use in quiet or noisy environments
- Easy-access battery door
- Rugged, moisture resistant
- Mylar cone speaker
Fox 2 Features
- 3 methods of connectivity: RJ-11, RJ-45, or Alligator Clips
- Cordless-phone interface
- High-output, selectable tracer tone (Warble and Pulse)
- Magnetic back for easy mounting
- TrueTrace cadence shift for definite ID of cable or par within cable
- Red/green telephone lines polarity LEDs
- Tone/battery LED – indicates that Tracer tone is on and battery status
- Overload protection to 120 VAC